I’ve been meaning to hop over here and post this for the past three days, but I’ve been pretty busy with some other things, plus with editing and writing, that I haven’t had the chance to do so.
Sales for the month of March were far better than anything I expected. Author Jon Merz predicted to me on twitter that I’d top 1,000 copies of my book(s) sold. Oh how right he was.
For the month of March, I sold 1,638 copies of The Becoming: Outbreak alone. 1,501 of those were on Amazon US. The rest were on a combination of Smashwords and B&N. 90 of them were sold on Smashwords, but I think that’s because of the Read an eBook Week that I participated in this year. Regardless, that number is fantastic!
What really surprised me, though, was the sales on The Becoming: Safe House. I had initially announced the release date as March 1, 2011, but I did a “soft release” a few days before the end of February. During the soft release, I sold a total of 57 copies of Safe House, which wasn’t bad for, what, three days? But my March numbers? Whoa, March:
On Amazon US Kindle Store, I sold a whopping 1,121 copies of Safe House, along with assorted other sales on other platforms. The total sales for the month for Safe House were 1,162. I sold nearly a copy for every copy of Outbreak sold.
Even better? Outbreak AND Safe House both have stayed somewhere in Amazon’s Top 100 for Horror for the entire month. I believe Outbreak even climbed up to #13 at one point! As of the typing of this message, Outbreak is sitting at #27, with Safe House coming in at #45. I have no complaints. 🙂
I, of course, thank all of you guys who do such a great job of helping me pimp out my work. I really couldn’t ask for better readers.
Here’s some updates on what I’ve been at work on, in no particular order:
1. The Becoming: Year One: I’ve reached roughly the 1/3rd point on it, but I’ve been sidetracked by something else that’s come up on my plate recently. Good feedback from my beta readers on the part I’ve already done though!
2. The Becoming: Ground Zero and The Becoming: Evolve: These are, to say the least, still a work in progress. Still writing up scenes from Evolve as necessary while Year One rewriting is going on.
3. “A Matter of Darkness”: (Remy’s novella) This is shelved until further notice. Bigger things on my plate at the moment.
4. Currently untitled poltergeist story: Glorified outline/beat sheet done. Hoping to get to this one day soon, but at least I have the beats down so when I go back to it, I’ll be able to remember what I wanted to do.
5. Super Secret Project A: Working hard on it. Full steam ahead, is what I always say!
Post-Apocalyptic Book Recommendation of the Week
Dying to Live by Kim Paffenroth
Summary: (from Amazon) A lone survivor in a zombie-infested world, Jonah Caine wandered for months, struggling to understand the apocalypse in which he lives. Unable to find a moral or sane reason for the horror that surrounds him, he is overwhelmed by violence and insignificance. Then Jonah comes across a group of survivors living in a museum-turned-compound. They are led by Jack, an ever-practical and efficient military man; and Milton, a mysterious prophet who holds a strange power over the dead. Both share Jonah’s anguish over the brutality of their world as well as his hope for its beauty. Together with others, they build a community that reestablishes an island of order and humanity surrounded by relentless ghouls. But this newfound peace is short-lived, as Jonah and his band of refugees clash with another group of survivors who remind them that the undead are not the only—nor the most grotesque—horrors they must face.
Where to buy Dying to Live by Kim Paffenroth: